Blog Archive

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Parap Wanderers Football Team Photo 1970/71

I have come across this photo today that may be of interest to past Wanderers players in The Northern Territory Football League(NTFL).
See my earlier post on my playing days in this team.

http://geoffthompsonsblog.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/talkin-about-my-generation-part-3-sport_26.html

Standing left to right:Geoff Burke,Paul Firth,Wally Wallambuna(Wunnugmurr),Geoff Sheridan,Jonathan Yolandu,Doug Kelly,Dick Morphett,Mick Adams,Gary Metham,Peter Baran(Captain) Ray Nulla,Geoff Thompson,Frank Wood.

Sitting left to right:Ronald Dirdi,Alan McCormack,John Lawson(coach),Maurie Ryan,unidentified,Frank Nyec,John Loiuzou.

Many thanks to Mick Adams for getting ion touch and giving me 2 of the 3 names I couldn't remember.

The five teams in the competition that season, 1970/71 were St Marys,Darwin,Nightcliffe, Waratahs and the Wanderers.

Ps. Caught up with Mick today, 7/12/13. Great to catch up and talk about the good old days.
Ps. I noticed some years ago a book produced on the history of the NTFL in it's list of Wanderers Captains etc. had a blank entry for 1970/71 season.
T o clarify the situation John Lawson was our coach (he was head of Kormilda College at the time),Peter Baran was our captain, and I won the best and fairest although I was very surprised by that.
Below is a picture of me holding the perpetual best and fairest shield that winners were able to have for a year.
The pic was taken not long before my wife Lesley and I left for Adelaide.




No comments:

Post a Comment