Blog Archive

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

YOU CAN DO ANYTHING




            


                                    By Frank Hunting


 “All things are lawful for me; but not all things are expedient”    1 Corinthians 6:12 rsv


These days it seems some Christians are very happy with the first part of the above passage.It is seen to mean I can be Christian without restrictions. Hallelujah, and I have scriptural permission to do what I like.

But,steady on. The second part of the verse also says something. That word “expedient” means to someone’s profit or advantage. So then , some of the things I could do are not for my advantage. So then ,some of the things I could do are not to my advantage or that of someone else.

How can I tell what things are not expedient? Everything is lawful to me but if I am going to be a Christian I must submit everything to three tests.

1.   Is it sin for me? ie does it in any way affect my relationship with God or my fellow men?

2.   Does it cause my brother to stumble? Does he find it hard to reconcile my Christian profession with my practice?

3.   Is it a hindrance to the life of God within me? Or a hindrance to the life of God in others, especially a weaker brother? Remember , good things are often the enemy of the best.And a Christian only goes for the best.

From “Off  Beat Responses to the Bible”


When I became a Christian at age 28 I immediately decided I was not going to drink any more alcohol for the above reasons. Now I am 65 and drank the above on our recent trip to Victoria.I have noticed, and so have my kids, that more recently I have sometimes not just had a coke.At 65 I need to remind myself of the above lesson. Geoff Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment